Our first pilot project is launching in the summer of 2021 and is slated to last 12-months. Our goal is to (1) build out a sustainable transportation infrastructure program and (2) develop a collective impact model for nonprofit, for profit, and government partnerships. Regeneristas believes in the mission of solidarity not charity and strives to create more pathways for fulfilling human potential in worthwhile work.
We are partnering with Cyclized, a local company for sustainable transport products. Together we are developing the curriculum and pathways towards a self-sustaining program. The business will donate a percentage of the proceeds of each product sold to support facilities, staffing and stipends for the program. During the initial pilot, Cyclized will help to develop train-the-trainer curriculum and fund research and development.
We are partnering with Carry it Forward (CIF), a 501(c)3 that serves unhoused people in Lane County, Oregon, with a primary concentration in Eugene, Springfield, and rural areas in East Lane County. CIF is a grassroots organization that addresses our community’s housing and homelessness problem on multiple fronts, seeking solutions at the individual, organizational, and larger systemic levels. They will provide fiscal sponsorship and case management support for the ReCyclized program.
We are partnering with Bent Spoke Outreach, a team that has been operating an outreach by bike program since January 2021 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Bent Spoke is currently distributing over 1000 meals a week to hard-to-reach camps throughout the community. They are working towards nonprofit status. Roger Jensen, Bent Spoke Outreach founder, is the team lead and site manager for the residential sheltering program for the pilot.
Participants receive (1) basic shelter supports and case management and (2) training and opportunities for work in the following areas:
- Re-Cyclized: restored, reincarnated and electrified old bikes, made to be stylish, fun and functional.
- E-cyclized: Customized e-bike conversions
- Cyclized Bikes: Innovative new electric bikes, trikes and cargo trailers, redefining sustainable micro-transport.
July 2020 through July 2021
- Q1: Regeneristas will prepare a transitional shelter site, finalize agreements with community partners, and welcome the first cohort of four to six pilot participants into the program. Together, we will develop our program structure and business plan for rebuilding and electrifying recycled bikes.
- Q2: Re-Cyclized workforce development program training, focused on teaching bike mechanics and detailing to participants, will begin in earnest. Housing navigation assistance, case management, and peer support are provided to support individual and collective goals.
- Q3: E-cyclized workforce development training begins to teach participants how to electrify recycled bikes for resale. Cohorts and individuals who wish to incubate microbusiness models enabled by etrike begin work with business mentors.
- Q4: Cyclized workforce development training concentrated on the production of high cargo capacity etrike begins. At the conclusion of the training, participants leave the shelter and are offered opportunities to apply for paid employment or develop their microbusiness further at a community partner microsite.
cyclized ecargo trike Designs
Cyclized is in the final stages of finalizing the eCargo trike design. The initial bike parts will be largely manufactured in China and assembled by the ReCyclized team until we are able to design components locally.